Pelayo Fitness is having an August hike this Sunday, August 30, 2020. We’re hiking a bit later than usual this month, in hopes of cooler temperatures. This weather requires more water and hydration than many are used to, and Georgie has requested all hikers bring three sixteen-ounce bottles of water or, better yet, a CamelBak-type hydration bladder. Our monthly hikes are usually on the third Sunday of each month and we would love for you to join us.
This month’s hike is the Top of the World Hike in Laguna Beach. This is a dog-friendly trail (as long as the dog is leashed) and all the times and information are below.
Details for this month’s hike: Top of the World – Laguna Beach
- Time: Sunday, August 30, 2020 – 6:30 am
- Meet-up Address: Alta Laguna Park (located at the top of Alta Laguna Blvd. – click the link for directions)
- Distance: Approximately 7 miles
- Hike Time: 3 – 3.5 Hours (Total)
- Difficulty: Hard
- Total Ascent: depending on which trail, the ascent goes up to 890 feet (271m)
- Highest Elevation: 1,020 feet (311m)
- Fees & Permits: Free parking at Alta Laguna Park
- Dog Friendly: Leashed
- Park Address: 3299 Alta Laguna Blvd, Laguna Beach, CA 92651
- Stay In Touch website: https://pelayofitness.com/motivation/
Notes from the Hiking Guy website:
“There are big payoffs on the short but steep Top of the World hike in Laguna Beach. You’ll climb through the coastal scrub of Aliso and Wood Canyon Wilderness Park until you reach the panoramic vista at Top of the World. From there, you’ll have views from Catalina Island to Mt Baldy, and there’s even a bench where you can soak it all in.
“Don’t try this hike in casual clothes. At the very least wear fitness gear with good footwear. If you can, wear hiking shoes or boots and bring trekking poles for the steep climb and descent. There is no shade on the hike and it can get very hot. Bring 1L of water and stay hydrated.”
Important notes about this hike:
- We are meeting at Alta Laguna Park at 6:30 am. If the lot isn’t open yet, we will meet on the curb next to the park and talk while we wait for the parking lot to open.
- These trails are open to mountain bikes as well as hikers, so plan to keep your eye out for bikes.
- From Alta Laguna Park, we’ll walk .2 miles to the Top of the World, enjoy the early morning view, then hike the loop around the peak and finish back at the Top of the World.
It’s going to be awesome! Click here for a map showing a sample of the loop we’ll walk.
Photos from some of our previous hikes:
Especially with this pandemic, it’s so healthy to get out into nature and leave your worries behind. The Top of the World hike is gorgeous. We hope to see you there!